It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: car intermittent stalling and loss of power
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 am 
rcc initiate

Hi all,

I'm getting rather desperate. Bought a 2006 Megane as a second car. Car has been in a private workshop where I usually send my other car (honda) and also recently in and out of Wearnes for about 4 times now. Private workshop and Wearnes already changed many parts. Wearnes say they don't know what's wrong with it as no more fault code to fix. With 2 young kids and very tight budget, I've already spent a lot of money on this problem with no improvements. Hope some bros here can help.

History
- Bought car in August 2012. Car original reg date is Apr 2006
- Car worked fine for about 1 week and started to lose power from time to time. Sometimes at junctions and traffic lights, the engine rpm will drop from 1,000 to 600 to 400 and do a disco from 400 to 600 for 15 seconds and then come back to life to 1,000 and it would be ok. At first it happened once a day. Then slowly, it happened twice a day. Then 5 times a day. After about a week, I brought it in to my regular workshop where I send my honda.
- At private workshop, changed fuel sensor, ATF, spark plugs and quite a few other small things which I can't remember. Spent about $1.7k.
- Problem seemed to resolve for 2 weeks. I thought I was problem free.
- Then problems came again.
- Engine will drop rpm but won't disco like before. Will just seem to lose power and sometimes will die off and sometimes will come back to life.
- In Nov 2012, brought to Wearnes. Changed some items & Spent $1.8k.
- Was ok for 1 week, then problems came again.
- Sent in to Wearnes again, change fuel injectors. 4 pcs. Spent another few hundreds.
- Was ok for 1 week, then again problems started.
- Sent in to Wearnes again, they did some checks and changed some other parts. I need to start digging the receipts to figure out what they changed.
- Didn't solve the problem. But I needed car for a few days, so asked them to wrap up and handover.
- Before CNY 2013, sent in to Wearnes again as problem got worse. Previously rpm will drop and come back after a while. Now, 50% of time will drop and stall. 50% of time will come back. Wearnes said no more fault code to change. Wearnes also told me that this car got problem. Since previous owner, change a lot of parts. Many items under the bonnet is new.

Now
- Not much problem when i put a heavy foot to the accelerator. But with constant city traffic, difficult to do so.
- Problem seems to be happening more often when travelling at slow speed
- Most of the time, happens when taking off from traffic light or at junctions
- Sometimes, when waiting at traffic lights and junctions (either in D or in N gear), rpm will drop from 1,000 to 500, and stall.
- Sometimes when driving off from stationary, will take off for a 10 to 15 meters, then lose power. Then I have to quickly filter to side of the road and shut off engine.
- Worst case in 1 day can stall 10 times. Problem seems to be less when driving on express way when driving fast.
- Solution whenever engine goes into limbo is to shut off and restart. After that usually can drive off... Untill the next traffic light.
- I think Wearnes is also stumped with this as it does not happen 100% of the time of driving. Sometimes will be ok for 2 days in a row. Then other days, will stall 10 times in a day.

Spent so much money at Wearnes and private workshop. Can't afford to trial and error and change more parts. Desprately in need of help. Hope some bros here can help. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: car intermittent stalling and loss of power
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 am 
Lobang King

go to Espace and ask Peter. should have gone there in the first place.

to sum up what you said, your car got problem sustaining revs when idling. correct?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm 
rcc benefactor
rcc benefactor

There no fuel sensor in megane.
Sounds like either throttle body problem or the wiring issue fr the external multiplex module aka protection n switching unit behind the battery, since sensor faults are eliminated.
Once Wyven said something similar abt the one of the connector pin burnt w/in the PS unit related to fuel supply. .... Only way to find out is to open up the PS unit.
Throttle body IAC idle air control ? or the TPS throttle position sensor w/in TB..... Can try fully dismantle , clean n reprogramme the TB.

Car feels like choking for air or fuel at idling.
John @ sin ming is another cheap option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:51 pm 
rcc evangelist
rcc evangelist

I hqve a spare throttle body somewhere in the house so can try that. The other thing to note is the ecu I also have a spare one but u need some other component to make it work. Cam shaft sensor also. Last but not least the bcu which will not give u any error code. Easy to diagnose if that is the guy. Throttle body also easy. I can do a clip for u ask I have the can clip, the only thing is I dun have a com that can work wif it. The window is I think xp.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:49 pm 
rcc benefactor
rcc benefactor

Wyven wrote:
I hqve a spare throttle body somewhere in the house so can try that. The other thing to note is the ecu I also have a spare one but u need some other component to make it work. Cam shaft sensor also. Last but not least the bcu which will not give u any error code. Easy to diagnose if that is the guy. Throttle body also easy. I can do a clip for u ask I have the can clip, the only thing is I dun have a com that can work wif it. The window is I think xp.

BCU body control unit is more for the central locking , located behind the glovebox. The want u kena recently is the external multiplex module behind batt.

Btw how to diagnose if the external module kaput?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 pm 
rcc evangelist
rcc evangelist

socrates wrote:
Wyven wrote:

BCU body control unit is more for the central locking , located behind the glovebox. The want u kena recently is the external multiplex module behind batt.

Btw how to diagnose if the external module kaput?

That the problem, u can't. That time my car can't start the whole world thought it was the fuel pump. Did a trial and error and turn out it wasn't so last resort was the unit. No visable damged or burnt. After replacement everything works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:06 pm 
rcc evangelist
rcc evangelist

read this in ebay and the symptom is the same, only thing it doesn't say how to solve the problem. Maybe somebody can see the light after reading it.

I had this problem with my renault IDE engine it kept stalling and kangarooing. The car ran perfect when cold but once at running tempetature / warmed up the car would cut out and splutter when it felt like it.

Please see my ebay as I have solved this problem it costs nothing to fix but it saves thousands on replacing parts you do not need.

This problem will not cause your engine management light to stay on, if your engine management light stays on all of the time (orange squiggly coil light) - you have a different problem

The answer to this problem is so simple, I cannot believe it, but it took me 15 months and £1000 in parts and labour for parts I never needed (sensors, coil pack, TH Leads, throttle body, the list goes on and on). The engine management light does not cover 100% of the car and Renault if you choose to pay £80 per hour will gladly spend days trying to rectify this problem, but they cannot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 pm 
rcc evangelist
rcc evangelist

our car have crank position sensor or not?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 pm 
rcc benefactor
rcc benefactor

Wyven wrote:
our car have crank position sensor or not?

Aka TDC sensor , one below the thermostat , I posted before saying got difficulty removing it.

So what's the part or problem to ur earlier post....TDC sensor?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm 
rcc evangelist
rcc evangelist

Not me i trying to help Teoelisha while doing some research.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am 
rcc benefactor
rcc benefactor

Wyven wrote:

maybe u have to "re-search" where is teoelisha :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:01 pm 
rcc advocate
rcc advocate

socrates wrote:
Wyven wrote:

maybe u have to "re-search" where is teoelisha :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Hv been thinking of that too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:57 pm 
rcc benefactor
rcc benefactor

If this is a genuine problem, I got info to share.